in Holy Scripture, is either, I. Material--with oil--or II. Spiritual--with the Holy Ghost. I. MATERIAL.--
- Ordinary . Anointing the body or head with oil was a common practice with the Jews, as with other Oriental nations. (28:40; Ruth 3:3; Micah 6:15) Anointing the head with oil or ointment seems also to have been a mark of respect sometimes paid by a host to his guests. (Luke 7:46) and Psal 23:5
- Official . It was a rite of inauguration into each of the three typical offices of the Jewish commonwealth. a. Prophets were occasionally anointed to their office, (1 Kings 19:16) and were called messiahs, or anointed. (1 Chronicles 16:22; Psalms 105:15) b. Priests, at the first institution of the Levitical priesthood, were all anointed to their offices, (Exodus 40:15; Numbers 3:3) but afterwards anointing seems to have been specially reserved for the high priest, (Exodus 29:29; Leviticus 16:32) so that "the priest that is anointed," (Leviticus 4:3) is generally thought to mean the high priest. c. Kings. Anointing was the principal and divinely-appointed ceremony in the inauguration of the Jewish Kings. (1 Samuel 9:16; 10:1; 1 Kings 1:34,39) The rite was sometimes performed more than once. David was thrice anointed. d. Inanimate objects also were anointed with oil, in token of their being set apart for religious service. Thus Jacob anointed a pillar at Bethel. ((Genesis 31:13; Exodus 30:26-28)
- Ecclesiastical . Anointing with oil is prescribed by St. James to be used for the recovery of the sick. (James 5:14) Analogous to this is the anointing with oil practiced by the twelve. (Mark 6:13) II. SPIRITUAL.--
- In the Old Testament a Deliverer is promised under the title of Messiah, or Anointed, (Psalms 2:2; Daniel 9:25,26) and the nature of his anointing is described to be spiritual, with the Holy Ghost. (Isaiah 61:1) see Luke 4:18 In the New Testament Jesus of Nazareth is shown to be the Messiah, or Christ or Anointed, of the Old Testament, (John 1:41; Acts 9:22; 17:2,3; 18:4,28) and the historical fact of his being anointed with the Holy Ghost is asserted and recorded. (John 1:32,33; Acts 4:27; 10:38) Christ was anointed as prophet priest and king.
- Spiritual anointing with the Holy Ghost is conferred also upon Christians by God. (2 Corinthians 1:21) " Anointing "expresses the sanctifying influences of the Holy Spirit upon Christians who are priests and kings unto God.
Was a custom in general use among the Hebrews and other oriental nations, and its omission was one sign of mourning, Isaiah 61:3. They anointed the hair, head, and beard, Psalm 104:15 133:2. At their feasts and rejoicings they anointed the whole body; but sometimes only the head or feet, Psalm 23:5 Matthew 6:17 John 12:3. It was a customary mark of respect to guests, Luke 7:38,46. The use of oil upon the skin was thought to be conducive to health. Anointing was then used, and is still, medicinally, Mark 6:13 James 5:14; but the miraculous cures thus wrought by the apostles furnish no warrant for the ceremony just before death called "extreme unction." The anointing of dead bodies was also practiced, to preserve them from corruption, Mark 14:8 16:1 Lu 23:56. They anointed kings and high priests at their inauguration, Exodus 29:7,29 Le 4:3 Jud 9:8 1 Samuel 9:16 1 Kings 19:15,15, as also the sacred vessels of the tabernacle and temple, Exodus 30:26. This anointing of sacred persons and objects signified their being set apart and consecrated to the service of God; and the costly and fragrant mixture appointed for this purpose was forbidden for all others, Exodus 30:23-33 Ezekiel 23:41.
The custom of anointing with oil or perfume was also common among the Greeks and Romans; especially the anointing of guests at feasts and other entertainments. ANOINTING
a-noint'-ing: A distinction was made by the ancient Hebrews between anointing with oil in private use, as in making one's toilet (cukh), and anointing as a religious rite (mashach).
1. Ordinary Use:
(1) As regards its secular or ordinary use, the native olive oil, alone or mixed with perfumes, was commonly used for toilet purposes, the very poor naturally reserving it for special occasions only (Ruth 3:3). The fierce protracted heat and biting lime dust of Palestine made the oil very soothing to the skin, and it was applied freely to exposed parts of the body, especially to the face (Psalm 104:15).
(2) The practice was in vogue before David's time, and traces of it may be found throughout the Old Testament (see Deuteronomy 28:40 Ruth 3:3 2 Samuel 12:20; 2 Samuel 14:2; 2 Samuel 2 Chron 28:15; Ezekiel 16:9 Micah 6:15 Daniel 10:3) and in the New Testament (Matthew 6:17, etc.). Indeed it seems to have been a part of the daily toilet throughout the East.
(3) To abstain from it was one token of mourning (2 Samuel 14:2; compare Matthew 6:17), and to resume it a sign that the mourning was ended (2 Samuel 12:20; 2 Samuel 14:2 Daniel 10:3; Judith 10:3). It often accompanied the bath (Ruth 3:3 2 Samuel 12:20 Ezekiel 16:9; Susanna 17), and was a customary part of the preparation for a feast (Ecclesiastes 9:8 Psalm 23:5). One way of showing honor to a guest was to anoint his head with oil (Psalm 23:5 Luke 7:46); a rarer and more striking way was to anoint his feet (Luke 7:38). In James 5:14, we have an instance of anointing with oil for medicinal purposes, for which see OIL.
2. Religious Use:
Anointing as a religious rite was practiced throughout the ancient East in application both to persons and to things.
(1) It was observed in Canaan long before the Hebrew conquest, and, accordingly, Weinel (Stade's Zeutschrift, XVIII, 50) holds that, as the use of oil for general purposes in Israel was an agricultural custom borrowed from the Canaanites, so the anointing with sacred oil was an outgrowth from its regular use for toilet purposes. It seems more in accordance with the known facts of the case and the terms used in description to accept the view set forth by Robertson Smith (Religion of the Semites, 2nd ed., 233, 383; compare Wellhausen, Reste des arabischen Heidenthums, 2nd ed., 125) and to believe that the cukh or use of oil for toilet purposes, was of agricultural and secular origin, and that the use of oil for sacred purposes, mashach, was in origin nomadic and sacrificial. Robertson Smith finds the origin of the sacred anointing in the very ancient custom of smearing the sacred fat on the altar (matstsebhah), and claims, rightly it would seem, that from the first there was a distinct and consistent usage, distinguishing the two terms as above.
(2) The primary meaning of mashach in Hebrew, which is borne out by the Arabic, seems to have been "to daub" or "smear." It is used of painting a ceiling in Jeremiah 22:14, of anointing a shield in Isaiah 21:5, and is, accordingly, consistently applied to sacred furniture, like the altar, in Exodus 29:36 and Daniel 9:24, and to the sacred pillar in Genesis 31:13: "where thou anointedst a pillar."
(3) The most significant uses of mashach, however, are found in its application, not to sacred things, but to certain sacred persons. The oldest and most sacred of these, it would seem, was the anointing of the king, by pouring oil upon his head at his coronation, a ceremony regarded as sacred from the earliest times, and observed religiously not in Israel only, but in Egypt and elsewhere (see Judges 9:8, 15 1 Samuel 9:16; 1 Samuel 10:1; 2 Samuel 19:10 1 Kings 1:39, 45; 2 Kings 9:3, 6; 2 Kings 11:12). Indeed such anointing appears to have been reserved exclusively for the king in the earliest times, which accounts for the fact that "the Lord's anointed" became a synonym for "king" (see 1 Samuel 12:3, 5; 1 Samuel 26:11 2 Samuel 1:14; Psalm 20:6). It is thought by some that the practice originated in Egypt, and it is known to have been observed as a rite in Canaan at a very early day. Tell el-Amarna Letters 37 records the anointing of a king.
(4) Among the Hebrews it was believed not only that it effected a transference to the anointed one of something of the holiness and virtue of the deity in whose name and by whose representative the rite was performed, but also that it imparted a special endowment of the spirit of Yahweh (compare 1 Samuel 16:13 Isaiah 61:1). Hence the profound reverence for the king as a sacred personage, "the anointed" (Hebrew, meshiach YHWH), which passed over into our language through the Greek Christos, and appears as "Christ".
(5) In what is known today as the Priestly Code, the high priest is spoken of as "anointed" (Exodus 29:7 Leviticus 4:3; Leviticus 8:12), and, in passages regarded by some as later additions to the Priestly Code, other priests also are thus spoken of (Exodus 30:30; Exodus 40:13-15). Elijah was told to anoint Elisha as a prophet (1 Kings 19:16), but seems never to have done so. 1 Kings 19:16 gives us the only recorded instance of such a thing as the anointing of a prophet. Isaiah 61:1 is purely metaphorical (compare Dillmann on Leviticus 8:12-14 with ICC on Numbers 3:3; see also Nowack, Lehrbuch der hebraischen Archaologie, II, 124).
Jewish Encyclopedia, article "Anointing"; BJ, IV, ix, 10, DB, article "Anointing," etc.
George B. Eager
(shemen hamishchah): This holy oil, the composition of which is described in Exodus 30:22-33, was designed for use in the anointing of the tabernacle, its furniture and vessels, the altar and laver, and the priest, that being thus consecrated, they might be "most holy." It was to be "a holy anointing oil" unto Yahweh throughout all generations (30:31). On its uses, compare Exodus 37:29 Leviticus 8:12; Leviticus 10:7; Leviticus 21:10. The care of this holy oil was subsequently entrusted to Eleazar (Numbers 4:16); in later times it seems to have been prepared by the sons of the priests (1 Chronicles 9:30). There is a figurative allusion to the oil on Aaron's head in Psalm 133:2.
See OIL; ANOINTING.
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Anoint.Anointing (39 Occurrences)
Mark 6:13 and many demons they were casting out, and they were anointing with oil many infirm, and they were healing 'them'. (YLT NAS)
Luke 7:38 and having stood behind, beside his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with the tears, and with the hairs of her head she was wiping, and was kissing his feet, and was anointing with the ointment. (YLT NAS)
Hebrews 1:9 thou didst love righteousness, and didst hate lawlessness; because of this did He anoint thee -- God, thy God -- with oil of gladness above thy partners;' (See NIV)
James 5:14 Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the assembly, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord, (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
1 John 2:20 You have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. (WEB WEY ASV YLT NAS NIV)
1 John 2:27 As for you, the anointing which you received from him remains in you, and you don't need for anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is no lie, and even as it taught you, you will remain in him. (WEB KJV WEY ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 25:6 oil for the light, spices for the anointing oil and for the sweet incense, (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 29:7 Then you shall take the anointing oil, and pour it on his head, and anoint him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 29:21 You shall take of the blood that is on the altar, and of the anointing oil, and sprinkle it on Aaron, and on his garments, and on his sons, and on the garments of his sons with him: and he shall be made holy, and his garments, and his sons, and his sons' garments with him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 30:25 You shall make it a holy anointing oil, a perfume compounded after the art of the perfumer: it shall be a holy anointing oil. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 30:31 You shall speak to the children of Israel, saying,'This shall be a holy anointing oil to me throughout your generations. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 31:11 the anointing oil, and the incense of sweet spices for the holy place: according to all that I have commanded you they shall do." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 35:8 oil for the light, spices for the anointing oil and for the sweet incense, (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 35:15 and the altar of incense with its poles, the anointing oil, the sweet incense, the screen for the door, at the door of the tabernacle; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 35:28 and the spice, and the oil for the light, for the anointing oil, and for the sweet incense. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 37:29 He made the holy anointing oil and the pure incense of sweet spices, after the art of the perfumer. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 39:38 the golden altar, the anointing oil, the sweet incense, the screen for the door of the Tent, (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 40:9 "You shall take the anointing oil, and anoint the tabernacle, and all that is in it, and shall make it holy, and all its furniture: and it will be holy. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 40:15 You shall anoint them, as you anointed their father, that they may minister to me in the priest's office. Their anointing shall be to them for an everlasting priesthood throughout their generations." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 7:35 This is the anointing portion of Aaron, and the anointing portion of his sons, out of the offerings of Yahweh made by fire, in the day when he presented them to minister to Yahweh in the priest's office; (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Leviticus 7:36 which Jehovah hath commanded to give to them in the day of His anointing them, from the sons of Israel -- a statute age-during to their generations. (YLT)
Leviticus 8:2 "Take Aaron and his sons with him, and the garments, and the anointing oil, and the bull of the sin offering, and the two rams, and the basket of unleavened bread; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 8:10 Moses took the anointing oil, and anointed the tabernacle and all that was in it, and sanctified them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 8:11 And he sprinkled thereof upon the altar seven times, and anointed the altar and all its vessels, and the laver and its base, to sanctify them. (See NIV)
Leviticus 8:12 He poured some of the anointing oil on Aaron's head, and anointed him, to sanctify him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 8:30 Moses took some of the anointing oil, and some of the blood which was on the altar, and sprinkled it on Aaron, on his garments, and on his sons, and on his sons' garments with him, and sanctified Aaron, his garments, and his sons, and his sons' garments with him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 10:7 You shall not go out from the door of the Tent of Meeting, lest you die; for the anointing oil of Yahweh is on you." They did according to the word of Moses. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 21:10 "'He who is the high priest among his brothers, upon whose head the anointing oil is poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not let the hair of his head hang loose, nor tear his clothes; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 21:12 neither shall he go out of the sanctuary, nor profane the sanctuary of his God; for the crown of the anointing oil of his God is upon him. I am Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 4:16 "The duty of Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest shall be the oil for the light, the sweet incense, the continual meal offering, and the anointing oil, the requirements of all the tabernacle, and of all that is in it, the sanctuary, and its furnishings." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 18:8 Yahweh spoke to Aaron, "I, behold, I have given you the command of my wave offerings, even all the holy things of the children of Israel; to you have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to your sons, as a portion forever. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Judges 9:15 And the bramble said to the trees, 'If in good faith you are anointing me king over you, then come and take refuge in my shade; but if not, let fire come out of the bramble and devour the cedars of Lebanon.' (DBY YLT NAS RSV)
1 Chronicles 29:22 and did eat and drink before the LORD on that day with great gladness. And they made Solomon the son of David king the second time, and anointed him unto the LORD to be prince, and Zadok to be priest. (See NIV)
Ezra 6:9 That which they have need of, both young bulls, and rams, and lambs, for burnt offerings to the God of heaven; also wheat, salt, wine, and oil, according to the word of the priests who are at Jerusalem, let it be given them day by day without fail; (See NAS)
Esther 2:12 Now when the turn of every maiden was come to go in to king Ahasuerus, after that it had been done to her according to the law for the women twelve months ( for so were the days of their purifications accomplished, to wit, six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with sweet odors and with the things for the purifying of the women ), (See JPS)
Psalms 45:7 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated wickedness; therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. (See NIV)
Song of Songs 1:3 Sweet is the smell of your perfumes; your name is as perfume running out; so the young girls give you their love. (See RSV)
Isaiah 10:27 It will happen in that day, that his burden will depart from off your shoulder, and his yoke from off your neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing oil. (WEB KJV DBY WBS)
Hosea 8:10 But although they sold themselves among the nations, I will now gather them; and they begin to waste away because of the oppression of the king of mighty ones. (See RSV)Anointing (39 Occurrences)
... n.) of Anoint. Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia. ANOINTING. ... In James 5:14, we have
an instance of anointing with oil for medicinal purposes, for which see OIL. ...
biblethesaurus.com/a/anointing.htm - 28k
Anointing-portion (1 Occurrence)
Anointing-portion. << Anointing-oil, Anointing-portion. Anon >>.
Multi-Version Concordance Anointing-portion (1 Occurrence). ...
biblethesaurus.com/a/anointing-portion.htm - 6k
Anointing-oil (1 Occurrence)
Anointing-oil. << Anointing, Anointing-oil. Anointing-portion >>. Multi-Version
Concordance Anointing-oil (1 Occurrence). Exodus 35:15 ...
biblethesaurus.com/a/anointing-oil.htm - 6k
Fragrant (30 Occurrences)
... (WEY NAS RSV NIV). Exodus 25:6 oil for the light; spices for the anointing oil,
and for the incense of fragrant drugs; (DBY NAS RSV NIV). ...
biblethesaurus.com/f/fragrant.htm - 16k
Drugs (8 Occurrences)
... Multi-Version Concordance Drugs (8 Occurrences). Exodus 25:6 oil for the light;
spices for the anointing oil, and for the incense of fragrant drugs; (DBY). ...
biblethesaurus.com/d/drugs.htm - 8k
Anoint (59 Occurrences)
... The practice of anointing with perfumed oil was common among the Hebrews. ...Anointing
a king was equivalent to crowning him (1 Samuel 16:13; 2 Samuel 2:4, etc.). ...
biblethesaurus.com/a/anoint.htm - 31k
Ointment (29 Occurrences)
... (n.) Any soft substance used for smearing or anointing, usually for soothing or
healing. Int. ... For the uses of scented oils or ointments see ANOINTING; OIL. ...
biblethesaurus.com/o/ointment.htm - 18k
Spices (64 Occurrences)
... They were used in the sacred anointing oil (Exodus 25:6; 35:8; 1 Chronicles 9:29),
and in embalming the dead (2 Chronicles 16:14; Luke 23:56; 24:1; John 19:39 ...
biblethesaurus.com/s/spices.htm - 32k
Unction (2 Occurrences)
... (1 John 2:20, 27; RV, "anointing"). ... 1. (n.) The act of anointing, especially for
medical purposes, or as a symbol of consecration; as, mercurial unction. ...
biblethesaurus.com/u/unction.htm - 8k
Consecrated (101 Occurrences)
... Exodus 29:21 You shall take of the blood that is on the altar, and of the anointing
oil, and sprinkle it on Aaron, and on his garments, and on his sons, and on ...
biblethesaurus.com/c/consecrated.htm - 38k
5545. chrisma -- an anointing, unction
... an anointing, unction. Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter Transliteration: chrisma Phonetic
Spelling: (khris'-mah) Short Definition: an anointing Definition: an ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/5545.htm - 7k
218. aleipho -- anoint.
... aleipho Phonetic Spelling: (al-i'-fo) Short Definition: I anoint Definition: I anoint:
festivally, in homage, medicinally, or in anointing the dead. ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/218.htm - 7k
5548. chrio -- to anoint
... to anoint. Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: chrio Phonetic Spelling:
(khree'-o) Short Definition: I anoint Definition: I anoint, consecrate by anointing. ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/5548.htm - 7k
3464. muron -- ointment
... ointment. Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter Transliteration: muron Phonetic Spelling:
(moo'-ron) Short Definition: anointing-oil, ointment Definition: anointing-oil ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/3464.htm - 7k
218b. aleipho -- to anoint 5480a. suk -- to pour (in anointing), anoint
... Word Origin from the same root as lipos (fat, oil) Definition to anoint NASB Word
Usage anoint (3), anointed (3), anointing (3). << 218a, 218b. aleipho. 219 >>. ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/218b.htm - 5k
... << 5480, 5480a. suk. 5480b >>. to pour (in anointing), anoint. Transliteration:
suk Short Definition: anoint. Word Origin a prim. root ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/5480a.htm - 5k
5480. cuwk -- to pour (in anointing), anoint
... << 5479, 5480. cuwk. 5480a >>. to pour (in anointing), anoint. Transliteration:
cuwk Phonetic Spelling: (sook) Short Definition: anoint. anoint self, at all ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/5480.htm - 5k
8081. shemen -- fat, oil
... wild* (1). anointing, fat things, fruitful, oiled, ointment, olive, pine.
From shaman; grease, especially liquid (as from the olive ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/8081.htm - 6k
4888b. mishchah -- ointment, consecrated portion
... << 4888a, 4888b. mishchah. 4889 >>. ointment, consecrated portion.
Transliteration: mishchah Short Definition: anointing. Word Origin ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/4888b.htm - 5k
4886. mashach -- to smear, anoint
... Word Origin a prim. root Definition to smear, anoint NASB Word Usage anoint (21),
anointed (42), anointing (1), oil (1), painting (1), spread (4). ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/4886.htm - 6k
3323. yitshar -- fresh oil
... anointed oil. From tsahar; oil (as producing light); figuratively, anointing -- +
anointed oil. see HEBREW tsahar. << 3322, 3323. yitshar. 3324 >>. Strong's Numbers
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/3323.htm - 6k
4887. meshach -- oil
... oil. Word Origin (Aramaic) from a root corresponding to mashach Definition
oil NASB Word Usage anointing oil (1), oil (1). oil. (Aramaic ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/4887.htm - 6k
Anointing of the Sick
... HYMNS OF THE EARLY CHURCH Anointing of the sick. 8,8,8,8 Anointing of the sick.
O Gracious Christ, Thy power reveal,. And let Thy sin-sick servant live; ...
/.../brownlie/hymns of the early church/anointing of the sick.htm
The Anointing of Jesus.
... I. THE ANOINTING OF JESUS. "Jesus therefore six days before the Passover came
to Bethany, where Lazarus was, whom Jesus raised from the dead. ...
/.../the expositors bible the gospel of st john vol ii/i the anointing of jesus.htm
Anointing the Feet of Jesus.
... ANOINTING THE FEET OF JESUS. On one occasion, a proud Pharisee ... He bade her
go in peace. [Illustration: ANOINTING THE FEET OF JESUS.]. ...
/.../anonymous/mother stories from the new testament/anointing the feet of jesus.htm
... Book I. Chapter XLVI."Anointing. "But now also I shall, by a very short
representation, recall you to the recollection of all these things. ...
/.../unknown/recognitions of clement /chapter xlvi anointing.htm
April 21. "The Anointing which Ye have Received" (I. John ii. 27).
... APRIL 21. "The anointing which ye have received" (I. John ii. 27). "The
anointing which ye have received" (I. John ii.27). This ...
/.../simpson/days of heaven upon earth /april 21 the anointing which.htm
Unxia, My Opponent Says, Presides Over the Anointing of Door-Posts ...
... Book III. 25 Unxia, my opponent says, presides over the anointing of
door-posts¦ Unxia, my opponent says, presides over the anointing ...
/.../the seven books of arnobius against the heathen/25 unxia my opponent says.htm
Christ with Chrism, Lo!
... 3. Since then she, that sinner, stood in need of forgiveness, the anointing was
for her an offering, and by it her love reconciled her Lord. ...
/.../hymns and homilies of ephraim the syrian/hymn iii christ with chrism.htm
On Extreme Unction and Holy Orders
... Lesson 25 ON EXTREME UNCTION AND HOLY ORDERS. "Unction" means the anointing or rubbing
with oil or ointment. ... Therefore Extreme Unction means the last anointing. ...
/.../kinkead/baltimore catechism no 4/lesson 25 on extreme unction.htm
1 John ii. 26, 27
... CHAPTER II. 1 John ii. 26, 27. John concludes by a reference to the inward anointing
of those whom he addresses, in contrast with those false teachers. ...
//christianbookshelf.org/neander/the first epistle of john/1 john ii 26 27.htm
Anointed and Stablished
... of the Gospel to steady and confirm, but also to the fact that God Himself communicates
to the believing soul Christian stability by the anointing which He ...
/.../romans corinthians to ii corinthians chap v/anointed and stablished.htm
Anointing in Consecration of High Priests
Anointing in Consecration of Kings
Anointing in Consecration of Priests
Anointing in Consecration of Prophets
Anointing in Consecration of the Tabernacle
Anointing in Consecration: Altars of
Anointing in Consecration: Cyrus
Anointing in Consecration: David
Anointing in Consecration: Hazael
Anointing in Consecration: Jacob's Pillar: At Beth-El
Anointing in Consecration: Jehoahaz
Anointing in Consecration: Jehu
Anointing in Consecration: Joash
Anointing in Consecration: Saul
Anointing in Consecration: Solomon
Anointing in Consecration: Vessels of
Anointing of Christ's Kingly and Priestly office
Anointing of Guests
Anointing of Jesus, As a Token of Love
Anointing of Spiritual Gifts
Anointing of the Body
Anointing of the Dead
Anointing of the Holy Spirit is Abiding in Saints
Anointing of the Holy Spirit is from God
Anointing of the Holy Spirit: God Preserves Those Who Receive
Anointing of the Holy Spirit: Guides Into all Truth
Anointing of the Holy Spirit: Saints Receive
Anointing of the Holy Spirit: That Christ should Receive: Foretold
Anointing of the Holy Spirit: That Christ should Receive: Fulfilled
Anointing of the Holy Spirit: Typified
Anointing of the Sick
Anointing Oil: Formula of, Given by Moses
Anointing was Applied to The Eyes
Anointing was Applied to The Face
Anointing was Applied to The Feet
Anointing was Applied to The Head
Anointing was Used for Curing the Sick
Anointing was Used for Decorating the Person
Anointing was Used for Healing Wounds
Anointing was Used for Preparing the Dead for Burial
Anointing was Used for Preparing Weapons for War
Anointing was Used for Purifying the Body
Anointing was Used for Refreshing the Body
Anointing was Used for The Jews Were Very Fond of
Anointing with Oil
Anointing with Ointment
Anointing: A Token of Joy
Anointing: Deprivation of, Threatened As a Punishment
Anointing: God Preserves Those Who Receive
Anointing: Neglect of, to Guests, a Mark of Disrespect
Anointing: Ointment For: An Article of Commerce
Anointing: Ointment For: Most Expensive
Anointing: Ointment For: Neglected in Times of Affliction
Anointing: Ointment For: Prepared by the Apothecary
Anointing: Ointment For: Richly Perfumed
Anointing: Omitted in Mourning
Anointing: Saints Receive
Anointing: Symbolical of Jesus
Anointing: Why Recommended by Christ in Times of Fasting
Sacred Anointing: Antiquity of
Sacred Anointing: Consecrates to God's Service
Sacred Anointing: Illustrative of the Anointing of Christ With the Holy Spirit
Sacred Anointing: Illustrative of the Anointing of Saints With the Holy Spirit
Sacred Anointing: Oil or Ointment For: An Holy Anointing Oil for Ever
Sacred Anointing: Oil or Ointment For: Compounded by the Priests
Sacred Anointing: Oil or Ointment For: Divinely Prescribed
Sacred Anointing: Oil or Ointment For: Jews Condemned for Imitating
Sacred Anointing: Oil or Ointment For: Not to be Imitated
Sacred Anointing: Oil or Ointment For: To be Put on No Stranger
Sacred Anointing: Persons Who Received: Kings
Sacred Anointing: Persons Who Received: Priests
Sacred Anointing: Persons Who Received: Prophets
Sacred Anointing: Things Which Received: Brazen Altar
Sacred Anointing: Things Which Received: Brazen Laver
Sacred Anointing: Things Which Received: Tabernacle
Sacred Anointing: Those Who Partook of not to be Injured or Insulted
Sacred Anointing: Those Who Partook of Protected by God
Anointing-portion (1 Occurrence)
Anointing-oil (1 Occurrence)
Fragrant (30 Occurrences)
Drugs (8 Occurrences)
Anoint (59 Occurrences)
Ointment (29 Occurrences)
Spices (64 Occurrences)
Unction (2 Occurrences)
Consecrated (101 Occurrences)
Anointed (132 Occurrences)
Sweet (147 Occurrences)
Perfumer (4 Occurrences)
Blended (5 Occurrences)
Compounder (3 Occurrences)
Compound (3 Occurrences)
Anointeth (6 Occurrences)
Incense (167 Occurrences)
Spice (25 Occurrences)
Abstinence (2 Occurrences)
Sacred (140 Occurrences)
Office (64 Occurrences)
Priest's (75 Occurrences)
Lighting (9 Occurrences)
Iscariot (11 Occurrences)
Furnishings (22 Occurrences)
Falsehood (107 Occurrences)
Fire-offerings (18 Occurrences)
Teaches (24 Occurrences)
Teacheth (22 Occurrences)
Mixture (16 Occurrences)
Blend (2 Occurrences)
Cassia (3 Occurrences)
Cinnamon (4 Occurrences)
Compounded (2 Occurrences)
Continuing (24 Occurrences)
Counterfeit (3 Occurrences)
Allotted (54 Occurrences)
Apothecary (4 Occurrences)
Abideth (66 Occurrences)
Sanctifieth (21 Occurrences)
Spice-perfume (5 Occurrences)
Screen (26 Occurrences)
Oil (281 Occurrences)
Union (24 Occurrences)
Martha (12 Occurrences)
Fasting (34 Occurrences)
Perfume (202 Occurrences)
Poured (155 Occurrences)
Instruction (117 Occurrences)
Real (26 Occurrences)
Furniture (24 Occurrences)
Portion (227 Occurrences)
Sickness (40 Occurrences)
Remains (118 Occurrences)
Sprinkled (55 Occurrences)
Entrance (190 Occurrences)
Sanctified (105 Occurrences)
Presented (114 Occurrences)
Perpetual (57 Occurrences)
Opening (242 Occurrences)
Consecrate (65 Occurrences)
Therein (269 Occurrences)
Hanging (82 Occurrences)
Garments (232 Occurrences)
Fast (157 Occurrences)
Judas (42 Occurrences)
Doorway (221 Occurrences)
Sick (117 Occurrences)
Abide (162 Occurrences)
Covering (191 Occurrences)
Minister (150 Occurrences)
Generations (148 Occurrences)
Hallowed (86 Occurrences)
Hallow (69 Occurrences)
Olive (61 Occurrences)
Samuel (129 Occurrences)
Door (249 Occurrences)
Priest (500 Occurrences)