(Greek form of Zechariah).
- Father of John the Baptist. (Luke 1:5) etc. He was a priest of the course of Abia. the eighth of the twenty-four courses who ministered at the temple in turn. He probably lived at Hebron. His wife's name was Elisabeth. John was born to them in their old age, and the promise of this son was communicated to Zacharias by an angel while he was offering incense and praying in the temple.
- Son of Barachias, who, our Lord says, was slain by the Jews between the altar and the temple. (Matthew 23:35; Luke 11:61) There has been much dispute who this Zacharias was. Many of the Greek fathers have maintained that the father of John the Baptist is the person to whom our Lord alludes but there can be little or no doubt that the allusion is to Zechariah, the son of Jehoiada, (2 Chronicles 24:20,21) and he may have been called "the son" of Barachias from his grandfather. (B.C. 838.) He is mentioned as being the martyr last recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures (as Abel was the first) -d Chronicles being the last book in their canon.
1. A person mentioned in Matthew 23:35 Luke 11:51, and most probably designating the son of the high-priest Jehoida, or Barachias, who was stoned to death by order of king Joash for publicly rebuking the king, his court and the people for their growing corruption, 2 Chronicles 24:20-22. Some suppose the prophet Zechariah to be intended; but history gives no account of his death. Others refer it to a Zacharias the son of Baruch, who was put to death just before the destruction of Jerusalem; but it seems unnatural and unnecessary to suppose that Christ here spoke prophetically.
2. A priest belonging to the eighth course or class, called that of Abia, 1 Chronicles 24:1-31, the husband of Elisabeth, and father of John the Baptist. His residence, when not on duty, was in the hillcountry south of Jerusalem. He is known to us by his pious and blameless life; his vision of Gabriel in the temple, promising him a son in his old age; his hesitancy in believing, for which he was visited by a temporary dumbness; his miraculous restoration at the circumcision of his son; and his noble and prophetic song of praise, Luke 1:52; 67-79. ZACHARIAS (1)
(1) One of the "rulers of the temple" at the time of Josiah's Passover (1 Esdras 1:8) = "Zechariah" of 2 Chronicles 35:8.
(2) One of the "holy singers" at Josiah's Passover (1 Esdras 1:15); the name stands in place of "Heman" in 2 Chronicles 35:15.
(3) In 1 Esdras 6:1; 7:3 = the prophet Zechariah.
(4) One of the sons of Pharos who returned with Ezra at the head of his family (1 Esdras 8:30) = "Zechariah" of Ezra 8:3, and perhaps identical with (5).
(5) One of the "men of understanding" with whom Ezra consulted when he discovered the absence of priests and Levites (1 Esdras 8:44) = "Zechariah" of Ezra 8:16, and perhaps identical with (6).
(6) Zacharias (omitted in the King James Version), who stood on Ezra's left hand as he expounded the Law (1 Esdras 9:44) = "Zechariah" of Nehemiah 8:4.
(7) One of the sons of Babi who went up at the head of his family with Ezra (1 Esdras 8:37) = "Zechariah" of Ezra 8:11.
(8) One of the sons of Elam who had taken foreign wives (1 Esdras 9:27) = "Zechariah" of Ezra 10:26.
(9) The father of Joseph, one of the "leaders of the people" under Judas (1 Maccabees 5:18, 56).
(10) The King James Version = the Revised Version (British and American) "Zarains" (1 Esdras 5:8).
(11) The King James Version = the Revised Version (British and American) "Zachariah" of Matthew 23:35.
(Zacharias): Father of John the Baptist (Luke 1:5, etc.). He was a priest of the course of ABIJAH (which see), of blameless life, who in his old age was still childless. But on one occasion when it was the turn of the course of Abijah to minister in the temple (see TEMPLE), Zacharias was chosen by lot to burn incense. While engaged in this duty he was visited by Gabriel, who announced to him that he should become the father of the precursor of the Messiah. Zacharias received the promise incredulously and was punished by being stricken mute. When, however, the child was born and Zacharias had obeyed the injunction of Gabriel by insisting on the name John, his powers of speech returned to him. According to Luke 1:67-79, Zacharias was the author of the hymn Benedictus, which describes God's deliverance of Israel in language drawn entirely from the Old Testament, and which is unaffected by the later Christian realization that the Kingdom is also for Gentiles.
Elisabeth, his wife, was of the daughters of Aaron (Luke 1:5) and kinswoman of the Virgin (Luke 1:36; the relationship is altogether obscure). According to Luke 1:42-45, she was one of those who shared in the secret of the Annunciation. A few manuscripts in Luke 1:46 ascribe the Magnificat to her, but this seems certainly erroneous. See especially Zahn, Evangelium des Lucas, 98-101 and 745-751 (1913).
Burton Scott Easton
(1.) A priest of the course of Abia, the eighth of the twenty-four courses into which the priests had been originally divided by David (1 Chronicles 23:1-19). Only four of these courses or "families" of the priests returned from the Exile (Ezra 2:36-39); but they were then re-distributed under the old designations. The priests served at the temple twice each year, and only for a week each time. Zacharias's time had come for this service. During this period his home would be one of the chambers set apart for the priests on the sides of the temple ground. The offering of incense was one of the most solemn parts of the daily worship of the temple, and lots were drawn each day to determine who should have this great honour, an honour which no priest could enjoy more than once during his lifetime.
While Zacharias ministered at the golden altar of incense in the holy place, it was announced to him by the angel Gabriel that his wife Elisabeth, who was also of a priestly family, now stricken in years, would give birth to a son who was to be called John, and that he would be the forerunner of the long-expected Messiah (Luke 1:12-17). As a punishment for his refusing to believe this message, he was struck dumb and "not able to speak until the day that these things should be performed" (20). Nine months passed away, and Elisabeth's child was born, and when in answer to their inquiry Zacharias wrote on a "writing tablet," "His name is John," his mouth was opened, and he praised God (60-79). The child (John the Baptist), thus "born out of due time," "waxed strong in spirit" (1:80).
(2.) The "son of Barachias," mentioned as having been slain between the temple and the altar (Matthew 23:35; Luke 11:51). "Barachias" here may be another name for Jehoiada, as some think. (see ZECHARIAH.)
Zacharias (11 Occurrences)
Matthew 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)
Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the priestly division of Abijah. He had a wife of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 1:12 Zacharias was troubled when he saw him, and fear fell upon him. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 1:13 But the angel said to him, "Don't be afraid, Zacharias, because your request has been heard, and your wife, Elizabeth, will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 1:18 Zacharias said to the angel, "How can I be sure of this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years." (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 1:21 The people were waiting for Zacharias, and they marveled that he delayed in the temple. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 1:40 and entered into the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 1:59 It happened on the eighth day, that they came to circumcise the child; and they would have called him Zacharias, after the name of the father. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 1:67 His father, Zacharias, was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying, (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 3:2 in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Luke 11:51 From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)Zacharias (11 Occurrences)
... The priests served at the temple twice each year, and only for a week each time.
Zacharias's time had come for this service. ...ZACHARIAS (1). ...
biblethesaurus.com/z/zacharias.htm - 15k
Bath-zacharias. << Bathzacharias, Bath-zacharias. Batos >>. Int. Standard Bible
Encyclopedia BATH-ZACHARIAS. bath-zak-a-ri'-as. See BETH-ZACHARIAS. ...
biblethesaurus.com/b/bath-zacharias.htm - 6k
Beth-zacharias. << Bethzacharias, Beth-zacharias. Beth-zatha >>. Int.
Standard Bible Encyclopedia BETH-ZACHARIAS. beth-zak-a ...
biblethesaurus.com/b/beth-zacharias.htm - 6k
Zechari'ah (51 Occurrences)
... (See RSV). Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain
priest named Zacharias, of the priestly division of Abijah. ...
biblethesaurus.com/z/zechari'ah.htm - 20k
Elisabeth (8 Occurrences)
... She and her husband Zacharias (qv) "were both righteous before God" (Luke 1:5, 13).
Mary's visit to Elisabeth is described in 1:39-63. Int. ... See ZACHARIAS. ...
biblethesaurus.com/e/elisabeth.htm - 9k
Zachariah (6 Occurrences)
... zak-a-ri'-a (Zacharias; the King James Version, Zacharias): (1) The son of Barachiah,
who, Jesus says, was slain between the temple and the altar (Matthew 23 ...
biblethesaurus.com/z/zachariah.htm - 9k
Elizabeth (9 Occurrences)
... Elizabeth (9 Occurrences). Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of
Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the priestly division of Abijah. ...
biblethesaurus.com/e/elizabeth.htm - 8k
Zechariah (55 Occurrences)
... the Lord" (24:21). Christ alludes to this deed of murder in Matthew
23:35, Luke 11:51. (see ZACHARIAS .). (3.) A prophet, who had ...
biblethesaurus.com/z/zechariah.htm - 70k
... ZACHARY. zak'-a-ri (Latin Zacharias): the King James Version and the Revised Version
(British and American) in 2 Esdras 1:40 = the prophet Zechariah. ...
biblethesaurus.com/z/zachary.htm - 6k
... Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia BATH-ZACHARIAS. bath-zak-a-ri'-as. See BETH-ZACHARIAS. ...
biblethesaurus.com/b/bathzacharias.htm - 6k
2197. Zacharias -- Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist ...
... << 2196, 2197. Zacharias. 2198 >>. Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist,
Zechariah, the son of Barachiah. Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/2197.htm - 6k
... I to XII ZACHARIAS'S HYMN. 'And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost,
and prophesied, saying, 68. ... Zacharias was dumb when he disbelieved. ...
/.../maclaren/expositions of holy scripture e/zachariass hymn.htm
The Judgment Upon Zacharias
... The Judgment Upon Zacharias. A Sermon (No.3495). Published on Thursday, January
20th, 1916. ... The case of Zacharias may be a, lesson to the Lord's people. ...
/.../spurgeon/spurgeons sermons volume 62 1916/the judgment upon zacharias.htm
The House of Zacharias.
... II. The House of Zacharias. (Luke 1. ... So it is possible that from the lips of the
mother of our Lord we obtain these details of the House of Zacharias. ...
//christianbookshelf.org/meyer/john the baptist/ii the house of zacharias.htm
The Song of Zacharias, and the Message of John the Baptist; Or ...
... Hymns. Book 1. Hymn 1:50. The song of Zacharias, and the message of John the Baptist;
or, Light and salvation by Jesus Christ, Luke 1. 68 &c. John 1. 29. 32. ...
/.../watts/hymns and spiritual songs/hymn 1 50 the song of.htm
Zacharias and Elisabeth, Sinners.
... Book II. Chapter 19."Zacharias and Elisabeth, Sinners. Now what must
we say of Zacharias and Elisabeth, who are often alleged ...
/.../augustine/anti-pelagian writings/chapter 19 zacharias and elisabeth sinners.htm
The Song of Zacharias. Lk. 1:68Ff; John 1:29,32.
... HYMNS AND SPIRITUAL SONGS IN THREE BOOKS. HYMN 50 The song of Zacharias. Lk. 1:68ff;
John 1:29,32. CM The song of Zacharias. Lk.1:68ff; John 1:29,32. ...
/.../watts/the psalms and hymns of isaac watts/hymn 50 the song of.htm
The Song of Zacharias.
... HIS BIRTH AND BOYHOOD. THE DIVINE ANNOUNCINGS THE SONG OF ZACHARIAS. And his father
Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying, ...
//christianbookshelf.org/barton/his life/the song of zacharias.htm
Annunciation to Zacharias of the Birth of John the Baptist.
... V. Annunciation to Zacharias of the Birth of John the Baptist. (at Jerusalem. Probably
bc6.) ^C Luke 1:5-25. ... [The altar on which Zacharias was burning incense. ...
/.../mcgarvey/the four-fold gospel/v annunciation to zacharias of.htm
Fragment Xlvii. The Birth of John the Baptist. Brought the ...
... brought the dumbness of Zacharias to an end.¦ The  birth of John
[the Baptist] brought the dumbness of Zacharias to an end. ...
/.../fragments from the lost writings of irenaeus/fragment xlvii the birth of.htm
The Birth of John Foretold. Chs. 1:5-25
... 5 There was in the days of Herod, king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias,
of the course of Abijah: and he had a wife of the daughters of Aaron, and ...
/.../erdman/the gospel of luke an exposition/a the birth of john.htm