bold aspect; face of trust or protectionPhinehas
(mouth of brass).
- Son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron. (Exodus 6:25) He is memorable for having while quite a youth, by his zeal and energy at the critical moment of the licentious idolatry of Shittim, appeased the divine wrath, and put a stop to the plague which was destroying the nation. (Numbers 25:7) (B.C. 1452.) For this he was rewarded by the special approbation of Jehovah and by a promise that the priesthood should remain in his family forever. (Numbers 25:10-13) He was appointed to accompany as priest the expedition by which the Midianites were destroyed. ch. (Numbers 31:6) Many years later he also headed the party which was despatched from Shiloh to remonstrate against the altar which the transjordanic tribes were reported to have built near Jordan. (Joshua 22:13-32) In the partition of the country he received an allotment of his own --a hill on Mount Ephraim which bore his name. After Eleazar's death he became high priest --the third of the series. In this capacity he is introduced as giving the oracle to the nation during the whole struggle with the Benjamites on the matter of Gibeah. (Judges 20:28) The verse which closes the book of Joshua is ascribed to Phinehas, as the description of the death of Moses at the end of Deuteronomy is to Joshua. The tomb of Phinehas, a place of great resort to both Jews and Samaritans, is shown at Awertah , four miles southeast of Nablus .
- Second son of Eli. (1 Samuel 1:3; 2:34; 4:4,11,17,19; 14:3) Phinehas was killed with his brother by the Philistines when the ark was captured. (B.C. 1125.) [ELI]
- A Levite of Ezra's time, (Ezra 8:33) unless the meaning be that Eleazar was of the family of the great Phinehas.
1. Son of Elezar, and grandson of Aaron the high priest. His zealous an decided character was shown in the prompt execution of he profligate prince of Judah, and his companion a woman of Midian, in the plains of Moab, Numbers 25:1-17. For this bold and timely service, the high priesthood was secured to his family, also remaining faithful; and except during an interval from Eli to Zadok, his posterity were at the head of the priesthood till the destruction of the temple. Phinehas led the host of Israel in the subsequent battle with the Midianites, Numbers 31:6 Psalm 106:30-31. He was at the head of the deputation sent to remonstrate with the tribes beyond the Jordan respecting the altar they had erected, Joshua 22:5-34. During the life of his father, he was superintendent of the Levites, Numbers 3:32; and afterwards became the high priest, the will of God, as to the punishment of the men of Gibeash, Jud 20:28.
2. A son of Eli the high priest. See HOPHNI. HOPHNI AND PHINEHAS
hof'-ni, fin'-e-as, -az (chophni, "pugilist" (?), pinechac, probably "face of brass"): Sons of Eli, priests of the sanctuary at Shiloh. Their character was wicked enough to merit the double designation "sons of Eli" and (the King James Version) "sons of Belial" (the Revised Version, margin "base men," 1 Samuel 2:12). Their evil practices are described (1 Samuel 2:12-17). Twice is Eli warned concerning them, once by an unknown prophet (1 Samuel 2:27) and again by the lips of the young Samuel (1 Samuel 3:11-18). The curse fell at the battle of Aphek (1 Samuel 4:1-18) at which the brothers were slain, the ark was taken and the disaster occurred which caused Eli's death. Phinehas was father of the posthumous Ichabod, whose name marks the calamity (see ICHABOD). A remoter sequel to the prophetic warnings is seen in the deposition of Abiathar, of the house of Eli, from the priestly office (1 Kings 2:26, 27, 35).
fin'-e-as, -az, fin'-e-has, -haz (pinechac, "mouth of brass"):
(1) Son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron (Exodus 6:25; compare 1 Chronicles 6:4 Ezra 7:5, where he is seen to be an ancestor of Ezra). He took a leading part in cleansing Israel from whoredom at Shittim. He there punished the brazen licentiousness of Zimri, prince of Sirecon, by slaying both him and the Midianite woman he had brought into camp (Numbers 25:6-18). This incident is referred to in Psalm 106:30, 31 (compare 1 Maccabees 2:26, 54; Sirach 45:23, 24). As priest he accompanied the expedition sent by Moses against Midjan (Numbers 31:6). He was chief of the Korahite Levites (1 Chronicles 9:20), and succeeded his father as high priest. While he was in that office the civil war with Benjamin occurred, and it was he who delivered the oracle's decision to fight Benjamin (Judges 20:28). His faithful services secured to his house the succession of the priesthood (Numbers 25:11-13). He was sent as ambassador to inquire into the reported idolatry of Reuben, Gad and part of Manasseh (Joshua 22:13; Joshua 30-32). According to Septuagint he was buried with his father in Ephraim on the hill Gibeah Phinehas (see Joshua 24:33). His character was marked with strong moral indignation and fine integrity.
(2) The younger son of Eli (1 Samuel 1:3; 2 Esdras 1:2, "Phinees").
See HOPHNI AND PHINEHAS.
(3) Father of a priest named Eleazar (Ezra 8:33; compare Ezra 8:2; 1 Esdras 8:63, "Phinees").
Mouth of brass, or from old Egypt, the negro.
(1.) Son of Eleazar, the high priest (Exodus 6:25). While yet a youth he distinguished himself at Shittim by his zeal against the immorality into which the Moabites had tempted the people (Numbers 25:1-9), and thus "stayed the plague" that had broken out among the people, and by which twenty-four thousand of them perished. For his faithfulness on that occasion he received the divine approbation (10-13). He afterwards commanded the army that went out against the Midianites (31:6-8). When representatives of the people were sent to expostulate with the two and a half tribes who, just after crossing Jordan, built an altar and departed without giving any explanation, Phinehas was their leader, and addressed them in the words recorded in Joshua 22:16-20. Their explanation follows. This great altar was intended to be all ages only a witness that they still formed a part of Israel. Phinehas was afterwards the chief adviser in the war with the Benjamites. He is commemorated in Psalm 106:30, 31. (see ED.)
(2.) One of the sons of Eli, the high priest (1 Samuel 1:3; 2:12). He and his brother Hophni were guilty of great crimes, for which destruction came on the house of Eli (31). He died in battle with the Philistines (1 Samuel 4:4, 11); and his wife, on hearing of his death, gave birth to a son, whom she called "Ichabod," and then she died (19-22).
Phinehas (24 Occurrences)
Exodus 6:25 Eleazar Aaron's son took one of the daughters of Putiel as his wife; and she bore him Phinehas. These are the heads of the fathers' houses of the Levites according to their families. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Numbers 25:7 When Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from the midst of the congregation, and took a spear in his hand; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Numbers 25:11 "Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, has turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, in that he was jealous with my jealousy among them, so that I didn't consume the children of Israel in my jealousy. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Numbers 31:6 Moses sent them, one thousand of every tribe, to the war, them and Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, to the war, with the vessels of the sanctuary and the trumpets for the alarm in his hand. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Joshua 22:13 The children of Israel sent to the children of Reuben, and to the children of Gad, and to the half-tribe of Manasseh, into the land of Gilead, Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Joshua 22:30 When Phinehas the priest, and the princes of the congregation, even the heads of the thousands of Israel that were with him, heard the words that the children of Reuben and the children of Gad and the children of Manasseh spoke, it pleased them well. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Joshua 22:31 Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest said to the children of Reuben, to the children of Gad, and to the children of Manasseh, "Today we know that Yahweh is in the midst of us, because you have not committed this trespass against Yahweh. Now you have delivered the children of Israel out of the hand of Yahweh." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Joshua 22:32 Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, and the princes, returned from the children of Reuben, and from the children of Gad, out of the land of Gilead, to the land of Canaan, to the children of Israel, and brought them word again. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Joshua 24:33 Eleazar the son of Aaron died. They buried him in the hill of Phinehas his son, which was given him in the hill country of Ephraim. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Judges 20:28 and Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, stood before it in those days), saying, "Shall I yet again go out to battle against the children of Benjamin my brother, or shall I cease?" Yahweh said, "Go up; for tomorrow I will deliver him into your hand." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 1:3 This man went up out of his city from year to year to worship and to sacrifice to Yahweh of Armies in Shiloh. The two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, priests to Yahweh, were there. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 2:34 "'This shall be the sign to you, that shall come on your two sons, on Hophni and Phinehas: in one day they shall both die. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 4:4 So the people sent to Shiloh; and they brought from there the ark of the covenant of Yahweh of Armies, who sits above the cherubim: and the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were there with the ark of the covenant of God. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 4:11 The ark of God was taken; and the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were slain. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 4:17 He who brought the news answered, "Israel has fled before the Philistines, and there has been also a great slaughter among the people. Your two sons also, Hophni and Phinehas, are dead, and the ark of God has been captured." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 4:19 His daughter-in-law, Phinehas' wife, was with child, near to be delivered. When she heard the news that the ark of God was taken, and that her father-in-law and her husband were dead, she bowed herself and brought forth; for her pains came on her. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 14:3 and Ahijah, the son of Ahitub, Ichabod's brother, the son of Phinehas, the son of Eli, the priest of Yahweh in Shiloh, wearing an ephod. The people didn't know that Jonathan was gone. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 6:4 Eleazar became the father of Phinehas, Phinehas became the father of Abishua, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 6:50 These are the sons of Aaron: Eleazar his son, Phinehas his son, Abishua his son, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 9:20 Phinehas the son of Eleazar was ruler over them in time past, and Yahweh was with him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 7:5 the son of Abishua, the son of Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the chief priest; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 8:2 Of the sons of Phinehas, Gershom. Of the sons of Ithamar, Daniel. Of the sons of David, Hattush. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 8:33 On the fourth day the silver and the gold and the vessels were weighed in the house of our God into the hand of Meremoth the son of Uriah the priest; and with him was Eleazar the son of Phinehas; and with them was Jozabad the son of Jeshua, and Noadiah the son of Binnui, the Levite; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Psalms 106:30 Then Phinehas stood up, and executed judgment, so the plague was stopped. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)Phinehas (24 Occurrences)
... to expostulate with the two and a half tribes who, just after crossing Jordan, built
an altar and departed without giving any explanation, Phinehas was their ...
biblethesaurus.com/p/phinehas.htm - 20k
Phin'ehas (24 Occurrences)
Phin'ehas. << Phinehas, Phin'ehas. Phinoe >>. ... Exodus 6:25 And Eleazar Aaron's son
took him one of the daughters of Putiel to wife; and she bore him Phinehas. ...
biblethesaurus.com/p/phin'ehas.htm - 13k
Abishua (5 Occurrences)
... (1.) The grandson of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 8:4). (2.) The son of Phinehas
the high priest (1 Chronicles 6:4, 5, 50; Ezra 7:5). Int. ...
biblethesaurus.com/a/abishua.htm - 8k
Gibeath (2 Occurrences)
... river and Jericho. (2) Gibeath Phinehas (gibh`ath pinechac), the burial
place of Eleazar the son of Aaron in Mt. Ephraim (Joshua ...
biblethesaurus.com/g/gibeath.htm - 10k
Hophni (5 Occurrences)
... They both perished in the disastrous battle with the Philistines at Aphek (4:11).
(see PHINEHAS.). Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia. HOPHNI AND PHINEHAS. ...
biblethesaurus.com/h/hophni.htm - 10k
... fin'-e-es (Phinees; Codex Vaticanus (Swete), Pheinees (1 Esdras 8:2)): (1) Phinehas,
son of Eleazar, son of Aaron (1 Esdras 5:5; 8:2, 29; 2 Esdras 1:2; 1 ...
biblethesaurus.com/p/phinees.htm - 7k
Elea'zar (72 Occurrences)
... (See RSV). Exodus 6:25 And Eleazar Aaron's son took him one of the daughters
of Putiel to wife; and she bore him Phinehas. These ...
biblethesaurus.com/e/elea'zar.htm - 27k
Gadites (32 Occurrences)
... children of Israel sent unto the children of Reuben, and to the children of Gad,
and to the half-tribe of Manasseh, into the land of Gilead, Phinehas the son ...
biblethesaurus.com/g/gadites.htm - 17k
Zimri (16 Occurrences)
... (1.) A son of Salu, slain by Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, because of his wickedness
in bringing a Midianitish woman into his tent (Numbers 25:6-15). ...
biblethesaurus.com/z/zimri.htm - 18k
Eli (36 Occurrences)
... His sons Hophni and Phinehas grossly misconducted themselves, to the great disgust
of the people (1 Samuel 2:27-36). They were licentious reprobates. ...
biblethesaurus.com/e/eli.htm - 24k
350. I-kabod -- "inglorious," a son of Phinehas
I-kabod. << 349, 350. I-kabod. 351 >>. "inglorious," a son of Phinehas. Transliteration:
I-kabod Phonetic Spelling: (ee-kaw-bode') Short Definition: Ichabod. ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/350.htm - 6k
6372. Pinechas -- three Israelites
... three Israelites. Transliteration: Pinechas Phonetic Spelling: (pee-nekh-aws') Short
Definition: Phinehas. ... NASB Word Usage Phinehas (24), Phinehas' (1). Phinehas ...
//strongsnumbers.com/hebrew2/6372.htm - 6k
Exile: Appeals for a Phinehas, and a Jehu: 1554
... CHAPTER V: EXILE: APPEALS FOR A PHINEHAS, AND A JEHU: 1554. ... However this delicate
point may be settled, the appeal for a Phinehas is certainly unchristian. ...
/.../lang/john knox and the reformation/chapter v exile appeals for.htm
... Eli, the priest and judge of Israel, had two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, and they
were priests in Shiloh. ... The news also reached the wife of Phinehas. ...
/.../the village pulpit volume ii trinity to advent/lxv religious zeal.htm
Appendix viii. Rabbinic Traditions About Elijah, the Forerunner of ...
... on Exodus 23:20, ed. Warsh. p.91 a, lines 4 and 5 from the top). Another curious
tradition identifies Elijah with Phinehas (Targum Pseudo-Jon. on Exodus 6:18). ...
/.../appendix viii rabbinic traditions about.htm
Faithlessness and Defeat
... bring from thence the ark of the covenant of the Lord of hosts, which dwelleth between
the cherubims: and the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were there ...
/.../maclaren/expositions of holy scripture f/faithlessness and defeat.htm
Synagogues in the City; and Schools.
... "R. Phinehas, in the name of R. Hoshaia, saith ... "R. Phinehas, in the name of R. Hoshaia,
saith, There were four hundred and eighty synagogues in Jerusalem," &c. ...
/.../lightfoot/from the talmud and hebraica/chapter 36 synagogues in the.htm
There have Come to Me Ransomers from among the Saints, but None ...
... Phinehas the zealous pierced and gave me, on the head of his spear for my delight,
Zimri and Cozbi both together; on the head of his lance he presented them to ...
/.../ephraim/hymns and homilies of ephraim the syrian/hymn xxxix there have come.htm
Of the Birth of John, and of his Alleged Identity with Elijah. Of ...
... As for the change of name, a thing which reminds us of mysteries, I do not know
how the Hebrews came to tell about Phinehas, son of Eleazar, who admittedly ...
/.../origen/origens commentary on the gospel of john/7 of the birth of.htm
Of those Things which a Man of God Spake by the Spirit to Eli the ...
... And this shall be a sign unto thee that shall come upon these thy two sons,
Hophni and Phinehas; in one day they shall die both of them. ...
/.../augustine/city of god/chapter 5 of those things which.htm
... to the seductions of idolatry and impurity, and the fearful punishment which
fell upon her for her sin was only stayed by the zeal of Phinehas, the high ...
//christianbookshelf.org/mcfadyen/introduction to the old testament/numbers.htm
Is God in the Camp?
... character. In their distress, instead of calling upon God, they sent for
Hophni and Phinehas. Why did their hearts turn to them? ...
/.../spurgeon/spurgeons sermons volume 38 1892/is god in the camp.htm